Network Light Dimmer

This project is one of many I have undertaken to control my house using a set of rules, a web interface, a logger and many more components. This project is a light dimmer which has multiple control interfaces such an RS485 network, an infrared remote control, a proximity touch slider or touch sensor.
    It is based on a ATMega8 and the well known Qprox QT401/QT110proximity sensor. The Mega8 had lots of things to do: detect zero crossing of phase, calculate the firing angle for the triac, manage the network communications, check for a finger presence and position on the proximity touch slider and detect and decode infrared coming from a remote control. The device is powered from the RS485 network connection which has +12, data+, data- and GND.  On the schematic you will see that there are two detectors, one is the slider, and the other is a simple touch detector.  It was done like this so that non-dimmable loads can be driven by using the touch detector as the control. That is why there are circuit pads on the board for two sensors.

• Slider QProx sensor
  • IR receiver
  • RS485 interface
  • Opto isolated
  • Up to 500watts
  • Network firmware upgradeable

Dimmer Schematic

Slider Schematic

Source Code

9 Comments to “Network Light Dimmer”

• Ben November 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

It seems a lot of us like to experiment with dimmers ;-P
    I see you solved the power source by using the RS485 as a source,
    Im trying to develop a nice AC-DC power supply with a Viper12A I want it to be small and flexible, have you ever worked with such designs ? (ie. transformerless psu)

• admin November 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm

No I had never work with that,

• Mike May 30, 2011 at 3:01 am

Cool idea, I am working on a similar project.
    What are you using to step down from mains? I don't see a transformer in the pictures.
    I see a regulator for Vcc, which regulator are you using to provide +12?

• admin May 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

My RS485 cable bring the 12Volts

• miguel ANgel December 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

PBC may thereby please give me a great project

• Chris January 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Very nice project. Is the PC364 being used for zero cross detection? Is there a more detailed description avaliable for the source and how to connect up a load? What are the CON and HEADER pinouts and what are they used for? (Think i have them figured out, but want to be sure)
    Thanks, great work!

• admin January 16, 2012 at 3:31 am

Hi

Yes the PC364 is for zero detection. I don’t have more documentation on this project

Thanks
    Sylvain Bissonnette

• Karsten February 15, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hi Sylvain
    Could you email schematics? (easier so I don't have to recreate).
    Did you consider noise suppression, adding a capacitor and a coil?
    Have you tested with dimmable low power lamps (not all dimmers work with these for some reason)?

• admin February 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I don’t give more that what is on my web site, I had test with 7w light without problem, for the noise suppresion there is no place in the box for that