Nixie Clock

After doing the Scope clock project I was feeling in an "antique mood". So I bought some big nixie tubes on eBay from Russia and also I bought the nixie tube driver. It's a 74141 and it can handle 200 volts!

I use only one driver and I scan my tubes one at a time and also I use PWM during this scan to create the digit dimming. Included is a 7 watt audio power amp to deliver my wake up tune which is done via 2 PWM channels on my AVR. Also it's adjustable via IR remote control and the clock is maintained with a battery backup. If there is a power failure at the time your clock is supposed to play the wake up song, a big beeeeepp from a piezo will be used. There is no way to stay asleep!

• Antique look
  • Accurate
  • Battery backup
  • Musical note for wake-up
  • Amplifier of 7 watt to wake you up
  • Adjustable via IR remote control

Clock Schematic

Soure Code

15 Comments to “Nixie Clock”

• Daniel Villelga May 12, 2010 at 7:04 am

Hi friend
    i finished the proyect bui it dont works :(
    one question, in the shematic you don use a cristal in X1-X2 , need it to work?
    thnks

• admin May 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm

This project work perfectly it wake me up each morning, You don’t need xtal It use the internal MCU RC oscilator, Did you setup the fuse bit in your MCU, with a scope did you see some bit change on the port BCDA and PC0, did you have 200v on your switching PS. There is a lot of things to check

• Daniel Villelga May 13, 2010 at 7:14 pm

hi again
    yes but  i don´t have a osciloscope to make this checks
    in the switching has 200v, i think that problem is my programmer, i´m going to practice and i will tell you.
    thanks for response

• JOJIE September 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

it is possible to use 16F877A Microcontroller for this project…? and also the program?

• admin September 1, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Yes if YOU rewrite all the code and redo all the schematic,…

• Daniel Villelga October 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Hi Sylvain
    i´m working in this proyect again
    the file NIXIECLOCK.hex includen in the souece code,  i copied in the ATMEGA32 but it dont works please tell me if this is right.
    thanks friend

• MicroSyl October 3, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Try with a M324,  I don't remember if it's a m32 or m324 and I can't open my project

• Daniel Villelga October 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Hi Sylvain:
    Do you remember if you use one 74141 for all nixies, or do you put one on all the nixies?
    Right now with the (ATMEGA 324P 20PU) I turn on all the nixie tubes, but all the nixies looks like the same number.

• Ivan February 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Good day! Please tell me what the remote control is used? (RC5?) The clock shows the date? Or just the current time?

• admin February 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Yes you are on it’s RC5, No Only time

• Ivan March 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Good day! Write me more about the work hours of the scheme.
    1 clock time and date are displayed.
    2 clock work with remote PC5.
    I understand you correctly? I have a console, it will work with the clock?
    How to manage the clock with the remote? In the clock is a smooth change of numbers in the lamps?

• Daniel Villelga May 18, 2011 at 7:53 am

Hi friend
    Please can you send me the configuration of fuse bit, I´m searching in the source code but din´t find nothig…..
    thanks friend

• admin May 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I don’t remember the fuse bit but it’s 8Mhz internal oscillator and the MCU is a ATMega324

• Daniel Villelga May 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm

already it works perfectly

• Gery83 March 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hi!
    Could you maybe share, or send me the pcb file please?

Thank You!