AVR Code Debuger

The fact is, 10 years ago this project could have been completed. It will be a useful tool to help you debug code. The challenge was to make a debugger that does not require any MCU resources to be used from the MCU, allowing the debugger to run integrated with the code being debugged.

The Debugger only use 1 I/O pin, and is connected to a serial port from the host PC. Using a VT100 terminal to capture the output from the Debug tool, all of the debug information can be captured. By adding a simple command along with the debug firmware, you can send out debug statements like debugXY(x,y, "test").  The Debugger will adapt to any speed from 1Mhz to 20Mhz without configuration from the user.

Features Ver : 1.0

System Requirements

• Terminal software
  • Debugging circuit with the HEX file of the debugger
  • PC free serial port

Debugger Schematic

Debugger Source Code

One AVR user had convert this project for USB connection and the code is written in CAVR.  Here is the files

Debugger USB

21 Comments to “AVR Code Debuger”

• DreamCat April 1, 2010 at 6:19 am

oh, so many link is moved.
    It seems you are doing large modify?
    now it’s become a beautiful.

• admin April 1, 2010 at 11:28 am

Hi DreamCat,

I complitly change my old web site for a blog, all the link had move. If you find some problem getting any file please le me know with the exact download link that is broken or a file with bad information.

Sylvain Bissonnette

• DreamCat April 4, 2010 at 8:24 am

how this debugger works?

dose it need one txd pin of my avr chip connect to the debugger’s rxd pin ?

• Sylvain Bissonnette April 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm

This debuger is only in one direction, from your devices to the debuger, to the PC,  you target can use ANY IO you not need to use the serial port.

SylvainBissonnette

• admin April 4, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Thanks DreamCat,  It's more than a modification it's a complitly rebuild, so I can't tell how many links is move…

I will try to explain more how the debuger work,  first you must reset the debuger after you start your MCU to debug and init the communication code, you have to set wich IO you will use.  at the init point the function will send 255 char, the debuger will try to find a baudrate that's match your MCU now you are ready to use the communication function in your mcu like printf and the result will apear in your terminal software under windows

Check here that's code to check if your debuger work

// AVR Debuger

DebugInit();

while(1)
            DebugXY(19,19,&Text[0]);
            for (i=0;i<60000;i++) WDR();
            DebugXY(0,0,&Text[0]);

/******************************************************************************

Name:         void DebugXYHex(ushort x, ushort y, char *Ptr, ushort Len)

Description:

Input:        ushort x  -> X position to print on the termnal
                                ushort y  -> Y position to print on the termnal
                                char *Ptr -> Pointer of ushort to be print on the terminal
                                ushort Len-> Len of array to print

Output:       none

******************************************************************************/
    void DebugXYHex(ushort x, ushort y, char *Ptr, ushort Len)
        char Buffer[10];
        ushort i;

if ((x == 0) && (y == 0))
            Buffer[0] = 0×1b;

Buffer[0] = (*Ptr++ & 0×0f) + 0×30;
                if (Buffer[0] > 0×39) Buffer[0] += 0×07;
                Debug(&Buffer[0]);

Buffer[0] = ' ';
                Debug(&Buffer[0]);

/******************************************************************************

Name:         void DebugXY(ushort x, ushort y, char *Ptr)

Description:

Input:        ushort x -> X position to print on the termnal
                                ushort y -> Y position to print on the termnal
                                char *Ptr-> Pointer of string to be print on the terminal

Output:       none

Misc:         168 Byte

******************************************************************************/
    void DebugXY(ushort x, ushort y, char *Ptr)
        char Buffer[10];

if ((x == 0) && (y == 0))
            Buffer[0] = 0×1b;

Buffer[6] = (x%10)+48;
            Buffer[7] = 'f';
            Buffer[8] = 0×00;
            Debug(&Buffer[0]);
            Debug(Ptr);
    /******************************************************************************

Name:         void Debug(char *Ptr)

Description:  *char  Char to be print

DEBUG_PORT |= DEBUG_BIT;

Buffer[0] = 0×55;
        Buffer[1] = 0×00;
        for (i=0;i<255;i++) Debug(&Buffer[0]);
        DebugXY(0,0,&Text[0]);

• DreamCat April 10, 2010 at 6:31 am

Very thanks for your example.

I saw all broken link is seems be corrected.

I like this new theme .

• AMF April 22, 2010 at 7:20 am

Hello
    I made this debugger, works fine on 5V applications.
    On 3V app sometimes hangs, I will try use optocoupler on input
    If U can, I have USB version with ftdi convertor & faster baudrate on PC side

• admin April 22, 2010 at 10:49 am

This project had been done for 5v if you need to work at 3volt you must change the level translator for a 3v version and change the zener for a 3v. I never try it but I think it will work

• Custodio April 24, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Hi, congratulations for your new site. I like your work and visit your site regularly. I have recommended for my friends. I would like suggest to you put something about you, your work, hobbies, curriculum etc. Its relevant because you are not a robot but human and gives your site some of your personality. My english is very poor because my native language is portuguese. But if you understand its OK. Ahh, the debbuger schematic file is corrupted. And again congratulations for your work.

• admin April 24, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for your good comment, Yes it true that a small article on who I am could be good, I will check for that soon

PS: I had reload the debuger sch file it’s suppose to work!

Again thanks

• Emily June 3, 2010 at 6:39 am

• admin June 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for all those positive comment, I try the download of the debugger and it’s work, give is one more try and give me the result

• cna training June 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!

• Alexandria June 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm

PS: I had reload the debuger sch file it’s suppose to work!

Again thanks

• Serenity July 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm

• admin July 9, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks, I don’t understand why I don’t have a good ranking?

• lenkakalinka July 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
    And you et an account on Twitter?

• admin July 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Yes you can, and I don’t have a Twitter acount

• Chandra MDE November 19, 2010 at 7:10 am

Hi, I love your works. It seems to me that you do it all with your heart.
    Keep up the good work, and looking forward to put more spirit into my blog as you did into yours.

Rgds,
    Chandra MDE

• Devendra Dhumal June 25, 2011 at 1:42 am

You are to good in your work but can you make one help of mine. can you guide how can i copy the program from ATMEGA32, ATMEGA64 & ATMEGA164

• Dhaval March 7, 2013 at 8:12 am

I realy like this..its awsome Dude…:)