RGB Laser Projector

Author admin    Category All projects, Laser     Tags , , , ,

This project is my second one with laser, I had learn many thing from my first green laser projector. Now I had decide to make a professional laser projector with 3 laser of 3 different color, Red, Green and Blue. And with galvos who have better spec.  I had buy a 30kpps galvo, a 300mw red, 80mw green and 250mw blue.

It's a lot of power, you finger will be burn intently  if you put it in front of the beem that's very dangerous. the reason I had those laser power is simple, If you want to have white line or dot you need the same amount of RGB, and you need to know that the green laser is many time more visible than the red and many many time more visible than the blue.  With those power I have a very clean white line and all the other laser combination are very good.  There is a lot of alignment to do to make a good job,  If you look to my pictures you will see how with simple screw and spring how I had done my project to be easy to align, All my optical part are mount on a MDF peace of "wood" with a "refrigerator" magnet on the other side.  The optical part are on a steel plate so all the part are easy to tune in all direction. I had use the same MCU board I had done for my green laser projector,  the only difference I had 2 more output to drive 3 laser.  Driving laser in on/off look to be simple but in fact this is not, you can't only use a current regulator (LM317) and switch it on and off,  you will have current surge and you will burn your laser.  The blue laser are the most sensitive, I had burn 5 of those at 60$/each.  if you need a very good RGB driver I suggest you to buy the one made by norm,  the price is very low and it's work very fine check :  http://www.ctrnd.com/NormLaserShow/Products.htm

• 3 laser, Red, Green, Blue
  • 30kpps galvos
  • Over clock AVR to 30Mhz
  • Easy to align laser beam
  • MCU controlled via a IR remote control

Hint

• Everything laser, galvo, driver, protective glass could be buy via ebay
  • Use a smoke machine when you align your optic, you will see where your beam are
  • Please take care of the beam it's so dangerous, you can loose your vision in 1 mili-second…

Laser Scanner Schematic

Laser PowerSupply Schematic

MCU Source Code

11 Comments to “RGB Laser Projector”

• gaz May 8, 2010 at 2:33 am

very beautifull!

• wgking March 16, 2011 at 4:40 am

It's very good!!

• Rooholla October 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm

you'r of those who are great!!!!

• Resonance Cole June 20, 2012 at 12:59 am

Goodnews to you always, Really I'm one of your website solver; I consider your project Ideas often time I wanted to design one things or the other. But please, I want to have independence and as such I need books on AVR Atmels that can enrich my design purposes.
    Please, do consider me for this request. Meanwhile, You shall be blessed. Thanks

• Resonance Cole June 20, 2012 at 1:10 am

Hi yonder,
    I'm designing a motor counter with a wide gate using infrared transmitter and receiver but due to distance the device could not work well and as such I'm looking for a more reliable distance sensor and receiver.
    I want to ask can I use this laser light system to design a motor counter in a particular motorpark.
    please, try share your experience with me. Thanks
    Resonance Cole

• admin June 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I don’t know any book but check http://www.avrfreaks.net

• admin June 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Yes you can with a small 5mw laser pointer with a photo transistor

• massimo October 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Is it possible to have the pcb instead of schematics?

• admin October 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Like written in the first page of my blog, I don’t give any file other than what I had post

• Edu December 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

Can you tell us something about the piece in the bottom-right corner? That’s the one which actually uses the laser beam to draw things, right?

I’d like to know the name it is known by, more or less how much it costed you, and anything else you would like to share about it.

If it’s not too expensive, I might try the same with a simple laser pointer, which might be enough to draw things in my bedroom’s wall.

Regards, and congrats for your proyect.

• admin December 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I must told you that this project had cost me $ more than anyother project, You need very powerfull laser
    blue 1000mw, green 100mw red 300mw, you need very good laser driver, laser is so many fragile, you will
    burn a lots of those, The mirror motor (GALVO) cost at minimum 300$usd, you must have a CPU that run
    very fast at minimum of 30Mhz, the dicromatic mirror cost a lot of $$$ and the alignment of all laser, mirror
    galvo is very hard to do, I had pass more than 6 month to make everything work